Monday, July 23, 2012

Home-Made Ice Cream in 7 minutes, 3 ingredients and no machine needed! As seen in August 2012 issue of Woman's Day.

While flipping through the latest issue of Woman's Day, I was intrigued by their claim that we could make homemade ice cream in less than 10 minutes without an ice cream maker. Since I had two of the three ingredients already at home, I figured I'd pick up heavy cream and put it to the test.


This is the recipe as printed in the August 2012 Woman's Day Magazine:
  • 2 cup(s) heavy cream
  • 1 can(s) (14-ounce) sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract

Directions:

  1. Using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream, condensed milk, and vanilla in a large bowl until thick, stiff peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes.
  2. Transfer the mixture to a loaf pan or freezer-safe container, cover and freeze until firm, at least 8 hours and up to 2 weeks.

Results:


Okay, I'm impressed. I'm really, really impressed. No rock salt, no hand cranking, no huge machine to take up valuable real estate in my gadget packed kitchen. The ice cream came out rich and creamy. It's slightly sweeter then store bought vanilla ice cream, but in a better way. Jon talked me out of making smores ice cream with graham crackers, chocolate and mini marshmallows, so we just added semi sweet chips. It's all natural, and has no scary chemicals or preservatives in it. I foresee a future blog post on the dozens of ice cream variations that we've come up with from this basic recipe!



Cost:

Heavy Whipping Cream, 16 oz: $2.35
1 Can of Sweetened Condensed Milk: $ 1.59
Vanilla: Pantry Item

Total Cost: $3.94 for around 12 servings. That's just $.33 cents per serving!




6 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find healthier versions of ice cream and frozen yogurt. The other day I came across a recipe on SparkPeople.com (I don't remember the name of the recipe) but I modified it with what I had and it was super tasty! Don't think of it as frozen yogurt or ice cream or you'll probably be disappointed. Its a tasty frozen treat.
    3 4oz containers of strawberry yogurt (I used Activa) and about 2 cups of strawberry halves. Blend in the blender and freeze. I used an ice cream maker to freeze it, but you can also just put it in the freezer. You'd probably want to stir it a few times though. When I froze the leftovers in cup size servings it got pretty solid. (nuked in the microwave on half power for 30 seconds softened it up enough to eat)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds great! I also just heard that you can freeze a slice of watermelon and it's supposed to be amazing. I'm going to have to try that this weekend!

      Delete
    2. I've tried the frozen watermelon. I wasn't impressed. I tried it a few different ways (plain, smoothie, watermelon-aide). Not a fan. Frozen strawberries blended into a powder lemonade is one of my favorites though. Just make the lemonade a little more tart then usual and blend in the strawberries for your own strawberry lemonade.

      Delete
    3. Lemon seems to be a turn off lately, but I'm wondering what would happen if I combined strawberries and yogurt and freeze? Maybe strawberries and Kool Aid?

      Delete
  2. Thank you for printing this! I was too cheap to buy the magazine. I made this, very good, but terribly sweet. I substituted the condensed milk with honey. Very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your cheapness and think it should be rewarded! :)

      Delete

Please feel free to comment and discuss here. You can also share your own tips and ask questions of the author. Complaints and constructive criticism are welcomed. Derogatory and hateful comments will be deleted.